Rad Reading – April

This month I read Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. This book is about a young girl named Juliette Ferrars who was taken to live in an asylum after her lethal touch accidentally killed a little boy. Juliette has been trapped for 264 days and has been alone the whole time until one day she ends up getting a new cellmate, Adam Kent. Adam is a complete stranger to Juliette. Eventually, Juliette is randomly taken out of the asylum for unknown reasons. She was taken by the Reestablishment who has plans to use Juliette as a weapon. She figures out that her cellmate, Adam, also works for the Reestablishment, or more specifically, Aaron Warner. Aaron Warner, most known as Warner, is the leader of Sector 45 of the Reestablishment where Juliette is staying. Juliette does not want to be used as a weapon or a torture device. She craves to live in freedom and not afraid of herself. She must find ways to survive, escape, and sceme for the whole series of books.

What I really loved about this book is that it brought me back to my love for dystopian. I realized while reading this that I haven’t read a dystopian book in forever and Shatter me made me remember how much I love and enjoy reading a good dystopian. My favorite character of this series is Kenji Kishimoto. Kenji is my favorite character because he always makes me laugh while I’m reading but not only that, he’s also the most relatable character to me out of all the characters. Kenji has so many positive traits to him, but his biggest to me would be witty. One quote that represents this is, “I’m not dramatic, okay? My presence just commands a certain kind of attention.” and, “I don’t have the time, the energy, or the interest to deal with your problems.”

My favorite line in this book would be, “I spent my life folded between the pages of books. In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.” This quote is my favorite because I love how it’s written. The writing in this whole book is amazing but I especially love this line because It’s beautifully written which just makes it even better to read. It’s a perfect line.

Sofia (The United States)'s review of Shatter Me